york swirls

Monday, July 1, 2013

Kara, the Cook

When Kara (age 9) was about 5, she liked to help me in the kitchen.  One afternoon, I was making banana bread.  I had all the wet ingredients in and was ready to add the flour when the washer or dryer buzzed.  When I came back from caring for that, there was a big pile of flour in my mixing bowl.  After I shrieked, "Kara, what did you do?", I asked her how much she had put in.  Of course, she had no idea.  So I did the only thing I could think of...put in enough flour until it looked 'about right'.  That was the best banana bread I'd ever made!  That became the standing joke, just let Kara make it!  Since she wasn't reading well yet, Autumn made her a picture recipe.  I guess you could call it a rebus recipe.  From that time on, Kara has been in charge of banana bread at our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment