york swirls

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Farm Hands

I can't believe it's been two weeks since I've posted anything on the blog!! The time has just flown by. We have been so busy with so many things, including helping in the field. This picture was taken with the girls' cell phone Tuesday afternoon. We were trying to get the beautiful trees and grassy hill in the background, but the picture doesn't do them justice.

This field is one we farm north of Watseka, Illinois. The variety of corn we planted there this year was dropping ears on the ground pretty bad. We went over there Tuesday afternoon and walked the field with buckets picking up the ears and throwing them in the bed of Gary's pickup. We walked 4 1/2 hours picking up corn until it was too dark to see. Then we ran into Watseka & got pizza and brought it back to the field.

The man that owns the field was there helping. While we were standing around eating our pizza, he said, "They'll remember this for the rest of their lives." I'm sure they'll remember it, but maybe not as a good memory!!

In all seriousness, one of these days they'll appreciate it. I had to work hard when I was a kid. I can't remember ever thinking I hated it or that my parents were mean. I guess my parents made it seem rewarding. I hope we've done the same for our girls. I can remember when I went to the woods with my dad to cut firewood, my dad would tell me to make a game out of it....try to beat my time from the last load or something like that. I know it taught me a lot of character, and I'm one tough cookie!! The girls will benefit from all this hard work one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment