york swirls

Monday, May 28, 2012

Time to Celebrate!!

Our last day of school is scheduled for June 1st.  We have been working a little ahead over these past couple of weeks to try to finish early.  We all spent the day today working hard, pencils & erasers flying.  We have worked all the way through Friday's assignments & are finished with school for the year!!!  I'm ready for a party!!

This has been a hard school year.  It took me a while to get started at the beginning of the year because I wasn't physically or emotionally ready to start school.  Then we ended up planning & having a wedding in 2 1/2 months.  Then we had a new grandbaby & spent 10 days in the hospital.  It just seemed like one challenge after another, but we have fought the fight & finished our course.  School's out....or, at least, we're done with books.

This summer, we plan to do Indiana history "hands-on".  We are planning trips to Battle Ground, Vincennes, Limberlost, and other historical and interesting places in our state.  We'll also keep up on our math flashcards so we don't get too rusty over the summer.

We have some cool flashcards for right-brained learners that incorporate the numbers into pictures along with a story.  They are fun and make learning much easier.  Even Nanna (just turned 5) knows many of her multiplication facts.  Her favorite is "Anything times zero is NOTHING (said in a deep voice)!!!"

I was just talking with my pastor & pastor's wife last night about homeschooling.  During the school year, I never feel like I am getting anything totally done.  It's either school or housework.  If I feel like I've had a great day of schooling, my laundry's piled to the ceiling & we eat peanut butter sandwiches for supper.  If my house is clean, my laundry is caught up, and we have a delicious supper, we didn't get schoolwork finished!  It's hard to find a balance, but it all works out in the end.  Now I have the summer to sort all the piles that grew during the school year.  My house is just a big pile of clutter, my carpets need shampooed, and the windows are filthy!  Sigh...I thought I was on vacation starting this afternoon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment