york swirls

Friday, August 17, 2012

Lending a Hand

This is the only picture I took today.  Doesn't Nanna make a good Santa Claus?  She came in the kitchen and said, "Mom, take my picture!"  

I didn't post anything yesterday because I just spent the day grocery shopping, cooking, and doing laundry....same old things I do every day...nothing vacation-y about it.  The food I was cooking was for a friend that is very sick with morning sickness and not able to cook and care for her family.  We drove to Phenix City, Alabama, today to take several meals to our friends, Joel & Melissa Wood.  Meagan spent her time doing laundry, and all of us pitched in to clean and catch up the dishes.  I made stuffed taco shells and taco salad for supper.  We ate supper with them before heading back to Gadsden.  A precious baby will make it worth it, Melissa!!

And for our sweet friend, Blair, here's the taco salad recipe:

1 head of lettuce, tomato (if you like...I usually leave it out for Gary's sake), 1 can kidney beans, 1 pound browned hamburger, cheddar cheese (I usually throw in a couple of handfuls until it looks good), nacho cheese "doritos" (I always use generic) crushed (may not use the whole bag depending on the size of your head of lettuce), 1/2 of a small jar of taco sauce, salad dressing (I used to use Sam's Club's brand of French dressing, but have been unable to find that for 3 or 4 months.  Lately, I have been using Western dressing.  Here in the south (both North Carolina and Alabama), I have not been able to find Western dressing, so I've been using Catalina.  I put enough on until the taco salad seems "wet' enough.  Usually takes about the whole bottle.  Now how's that for "a little of this and a little of that" kind of recipe?  The recipe I originally started with called for onion and green pepper, but I never put that in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment